Who Pays for My Medical Bills After an Accident?

After you are injured in an accident, you may be wondering who is going to pay for your medical bills. Is it going to be the at-fault driver? Their car insurance company? Your health insurance company? Or is it going to come out of your pocket?

No Fault State

Pennsylvania is a “no fault” state, which requires each party in a vehicle accident to first submit medical bills from their own insurance companies, regardless of fault. Part of what you pay premiums for every year is for medical coverage under your policy. If you are injured, your insurance pays up to the limit of your coverage for medical—with the minimum being $5,000. If that limit is surpassed, your health insurance comes into play and pays for the rest. However, if you receive a settlement from the at-fault insurance company, you may have to repay the bills your health insurance footed, if the settlement amount is big enough.

If you don’t own a car, you may still be entitled to medical coverage, but only under the following circumstances:

1.You’re under a relative’s auto insurance

2.You’re under the medical coverage of the car that was involved in the accident

3.The at-fault vehicle’s insurance pays (if you don’t own the car, don’t live with anyone with insurance and you were hit as a pedestrian)

While the at-fault insurance company is responsible for reimbursing you for out-of-pocket medical bills, including if you do not have private health care plan coverage, they may not pay until the end of your case. Costs for necessary medical procedures, therapy, home modifications and rehabilitation can add up quickly, which is why you need an experienced attorney by your side.

If you have been injured in an auto accident, contact the Schuylkill County personal injury lawyers at The Law Offices of Anthony Urban, P.C. today. Our firm is available for a free, no obligation legal consultation. If you need someone to look out for your best interests, get in touch with us today.

Call (888) 268-0023 or contact us online to speak with a representative.