Who pays when you are hit by a car while doing road work?

Most in Pottsville would likely think that you can easily avoid being struck by a vehicle as a pedestrian by either utilizing only those areas of the road open to foot traffic or by avoiding the road while on foot altogether. Yet what if you are not able to? What if your job puts you in a position where you are required to work alongside moving vehicles? This, of course, is a scenario you are likely to face as part of a road construction crew. If and when you are struck by a vehicle while participating in such work, then you are likely to have the same question most others injured in a similar way have: Who pays?

The answer depends on the nature of your accident. According to accident information collected by the U.S. Department of Transportation, accidents amongst road construction crews claimed the lives of 106 workers nationally in 2010. Of the accidents that led to these fatalities, almost 60 percent were due to runovers and backovers. In most cases, the vehicles involved were either dump trucks or other construction vehicles. If you were involved in such an accident, then workers’ compensation would be expected to cover your expenses.

The U.S. DOT study goes on to show that 14 percent of road construction crew fatalities were due to vehicle collisions. This includes vehicles striking workers and/or construction equipment. When this happens, workers compensation would again be expected to cover your medical bills and lost wages. However, if you also need compensation for the pain and suffering that you and your family were forced to endure, you would pursue that from the driver’s auto insurance company.