If you are a motorcyclist, you must understand the various hazards and challenges which riders encounter on the road. As lawyers, we know how serious motorcycle accidents can be.
Since motorcyclists do not have the same protections compared to drivers of motor vehicles, they are more susceptible to severe or fatal injuries in the event of a crash. Furthermore, motorcyclists are nearly 30 times more likely than motorists in passenger vehicles to die in a collision per vehicle mile traveled, and are more than five times as likely to suffer injuries.
Here are the top 6 most common causes of motorcycle crashes:
- Left turn accidents – Approximately 42% of all accidents involving motorcycles and motor vehicles happens when cars make left-hand turns without yielding to the right of way or failing to look before turning.
- Unsafe lane changes – Drivers risk colliding with motorcyclists when they fail to check their blind spot or signal when changing lanes.
- Speeding – Considered one of the leading causes of all forms of motor vehicle collisions, speeding decreases a vehicle’s chance of seeing and properly reacting to unexpected situations on the road in time to prevent an accident.
- Car doors – When a driver or passenger of a parked motor vehicle opens in the path of an oncoming motorcyclist, it often results in fatal injuries.
- Lane splitting – While it is a great way to cut through traffic, riding between two lanes can be dangerous since drivers may not be aware of your presence.
- Sudden stops – Rear-end accidents caused by following too closely or due to an abrupt stop can cause serious and fatal injuries to motorcyclists.
If you suffered an injury in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent party in Pennsylvania, contact our Schuylkill County personal injury lawyer at Anthony Urban Law Offices, P.C. today.